National School of Chiropractic
founded in Davenport, Iowa,
by John Fitz Alan Howard, DC.
Dr. Howard and young B.J. Palmer clash
over their philosophies. So, Dr. Howard,
with the blessing of D.D. Palmer, founds the
National School to provide a science-based,
broad scope approach to chiropractic medicine.
The school moves to Chicago and becomes
the first to use a human dissection laboratory
in chiropractic education.
National School of Chiropractic opens
at 1732 W. Congress, a block away from
Cook County Hospital. The hospital admits
National students into their diagnostic
clinics and pathology labs.
Dr. Howard retires as president in 1919.
William Schulze, MD, DC, is inaugurated as National’s second
president. If Dr. Schulze wasn’t the first MD to associate
with the chiropractic profession, he was considered the first
of the medical profession to see chiropractic in a practical way.
School enlarges facilities and changes name to
the National College of Chiropractic.
Dr. Schulze moves the campus to 20 N. Ashland Blvd.,
where it calls home for the next 43 years. The new location
offers more labs, clinical facilities, a dormitory, and
Absorbs Lindlahr College of Natural Therapeutics
and offers degree program in naturopathy (natural
therapeutics) until 1952.
National is the trustee and curator of records
for several former chiropractic and healing arts
colleges that have closed their doors over time,
including Lincoln Chiropractic College and
the New York School of Chiropractic.
Joseph Janse, DC (NCC class of '38) is chosen as
National's fourth president, and begins his legacy
in leading chiropractic education toward full
Dr. Janse serves as president of NCC for
nearly four decades, advancing the field of
chiropractic medicine academically, socially,
philosophically, and politically.
National becomes the first chiropractic school
to acquire regional, state, and professional
Opens its new campus, specifically designed for
chiropractic education, on a 20-acre parcel in the
Village of Lombard.
The college's first building, now namedJanse Hall
, housed three lecture halls,
a gross anatomy laboratory, five additional
labs, a library, and a public clinic
Today, the Lombard campus
boasts 9 buildings
and spans over 32 acres.
First educational institution in the U.S. to receive
state government authorization to offer
Before President Nixon opened diplomatic doors
to China in 1972, National had already begun
acupuncture research and education.
Publishes the first scientific journal for the
chiropractic profession—the Journal of
Manipulative and Physiological Therapeutics.
Today, National University publishes three peer-
reviewed and medically-indexed journals for the
Lee E. Arnold, DC , is inaugurated as president.
During his short tenure, he bridged the gap between
two long serving presidents and made a significant
impact to expand the campus by purchasing a facility
that is still in use today to house academic programs.
James F. Winterstein, DC (NCC class of '68) is
inaugurated as president of NCC, and begins his
legacy as a leading champion of primary care
Authoring hundreds of articles, serving as
expert witness in the historic Wilkes vs. AMA
trial, and winning National its current
designation as a Class I medical school for
state funding purposes, Dr. Winterstein leads
National for the next 27 years through the
many program expansions that define the
Adds a new
graduate level faculty. It is one of the few to use
to study anatomy.
Becomes the only chiropractic school to require
a baccalaureate degree for admission,
thereby raising its academic standards to the
highest in the profession.
National University also maintains the
highest GPA and prerequisite requirements
of any other DC program.
Name changes to National University of Health
Sciences and begins to forge a campus devoted
Changing from a college to a university structure
laid the foundation to add undergraduate
programs, multiple professional degrees,
master's degrees, and postgraduate education.
NUHS accepts its first classes in Fall 2006 for theND
, and MSOM
Also launches a master's degree in
and an associate of
applied science degree in massage therapy
NUHS opens a new site in St. Petersburg, Florida
offering the Doctor of Chiropractic degree.
First class starts in Fall 2009.
NUHS participates in a unique campus-sharing
program through the University Partnership
Center at St. Petersburg College, and offers
two clinics in the Tampa Bay area serving the
students, staff, and faculty of St. Petersburg
College and the community of Pinellas County.
Joseph P.D. Stiefel, MS, EdD, DC (NUHS class of '04) is
as sixth president of National University
of Health Sciences.
The first graduate of National's master of
science in diagnostic imaging program,
Dr. Stiefel serves on the university's faculty
before becoming the first dean of its Florida DC
program. Under his leadership, the university
continues to focus on broad scope
primary care practice for professional degree
programs, and deepens its committment to
Defining the future
of integrated healthcare.